Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Poetry at Round Top 6th Annual Festival Weekend

Sorry I haven't posted in a while but I've been dealing with some personal issues. The good news is that I was nominated in a second year in row to be the Naomi Shihab Nye Scholar and I was able to attend Poetry at Round Top last weekend. I wrote about it before when I last attended. Poetry at Round Top is this secret oasis and no one would believe it existed unless you saw it for yourself. It's this great artist retreat. There are fountains, wonderful buildings, etc. According to the program, "With lakes, herb gardens, hidden fountains, chapels, and a sense that time is suspended for us to cherish its details, the Poetry at Round Top Festival is paradise-for poets and poetry lovers alike."

This year's featured poets were Li-Young Lee, Rosemary Catacalos, Cyrus Cassells, Chase Twichell and many other great poets. Lee gave a wonderful presentation on craft talk and a great featured reading later Saturday night. I also got to meet some new poets from UT and some people that attended last year. A nice treat we all received besides, the lavish food was a "dramatic presentation of Walt Whitman" performed by poet Bruce Noll. Unfortunately, it was an on-the-spot thing so he didn't have his Whitman garb, however at his formal presentations he grows his beard, wears the clothes, etc. It was a nice way to end a night. Overall, the experience was well-needed. I needed to get out of my surroundings and just lay low, gather some thoughts, basically decompress.

No comments: