Thursday, March 02, 2006

God's Silence and Hope

I just read this profile on Franz Wright in the latest issue of Poets & Writers. I have to admit I’ve never read any of his work before and the only thing I knew about him was that he was James Wright’s son. But I think there’s a reason for that. He’s a recovered drug addict, alcoholic and is bipolar and yet his latest book God’s Silence sounds full of hope. In the P & W profile he says, “I’m writing in the voice of the person I’d like to become, a person not so involved in his own problems but more concerned with others.” I think this is exactly what I need to restore my faith in poetry, in life, in myself. I love when this happens, when a book magically comes at the right moment in my life. Even Frey’s A Million Little Pieces found its way into my hands when I needed it the most. So, did his demise. It made me realize I shouldn’t be so self-absorbed and begin to look outward to find that reason to change. I don’t know. I’m just feeling hopeful right now and after reading a few of Franz Wright’s poems on the internet I’m excited to read poetry again.

No comments: