Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Cool! Vista’s Voice Recognition Tool

So, I checked out this article on Digg.com on how to use the voice recognition tool on Window’s Vista operating system. There’s this great video that illustrates how cool this new capability is? Check out the video here.

After seeing this video I immediately thought about how I could use it during a writing session. I imagined dictating a poem-in-progress to my computer, unleashing words on a pixilated page and circumventing a cursor’s monotonous blinking. I don’t know about the rest of you but when I compose a poem I sound insane. I talk to myself, I babble words, hum the rhythm of certain lines, sometimes stanzas. My family is use to this. They know what’s up when I’m in the room, talking aloud, repeating words that make no sense, sometimes just syllables hatched into gruesome growls. I don’t think this is out of the ordinary. I suspect we each have our own peculiar writing rituals. In either case, talking to myself won’t deter me from using this new technology. It will certainly have bugs in it but now I can just record a draft of a poem, save it and later go back and experience the editing process on completely new level, an actual interaction with words and voice.

No comments: