Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Junot Wins the Pulizter Prize

I just saw Junot on the Colbert Report and through that I found out he was recently awarded the Pulitzer Prize. I am so excited for him and I am thrilled that he showed the world that nerds not only come from midwestern America or India. We exist everywhere. We burrow ourselves in the nooks and crannies of every city.

I met Junot a while back during my undergrad years and when we went to have lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant in downtown, he was very down-to-earth. We were just two Latinos from the neighborhood talking about the illest MC's hitting the airwaves. I felt like I was speaking to a cat from the hood, someone from the corner. In honesty, he was dope. Back then, I was too young to understand boundaries, yet he was kind to call me out on my shit. He's always been that way, truthful and I have always been indebted to him for that and for his support.

So, after hearing about this great award, I am utterly thrilled for him and I urge everyone to check out his latest novel, "The Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao."

No comments: