Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Pre-op Night


I'm sitting here thinking about my eye operation. I know it's not a big deal. I'm young. I'll recover sooner than most elderly people and yet going through this somewhat excites me. Luckily, I live in a time when this sort of procedure is possible. I remind myself of James Joyce; the pain he endured. The loss of sight for anyone; especially, a writer, an artist is devastating. Finally, I won't be so blind; I won't have an unbalanced vision.

Right now, I'm supposed to take two types of special eye drops i.e. Zymar and Acular. Tomorrow, I'm supposed to take an one extra one called Pred Forte, a steroid.

I've been through this before. I had a cornea transplant in my right eye in 1999. Apparently, it's a genetic disease. But no one I know in my immediate family is inflicted by this ailment. So, this in someway, makes me feel special. I am used to seeing the world in a blur, through an alcoholic blurred haze, through Keratocnous, through disease; the world tainted;a thing that always has been.

No comments: